Use Apple watch for phone calls?? Why?

If my iPhone is required to be nearby in order to make or receive calls on my Apple watch, I don't understand any advantage in using the watch for phone purposes. Just use the phone!! ... which provides MUCH better sound quality. I've used my series 9 watch just to test the call functionality and sound quality, and can't imagine using it as a phone.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 16, 2024 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 8:02 PM

I 100% agree with MrHoffman. No the watch isn't ideal but I've found it very handy to answer calls when I'm busy and my phone is buried in a pocket or a couple of rooms away. Is it by go-to device when I get a call, no my iPhone is however in a pinch it's a life saver.

6 replies

May 16, 2024 6:50 PM in response to drcrocketcity

I’ve answered calls on Watch when the iPhone is located somewhere else in the building, or when the iPhone is buried in a coat pocket or pants pocket, or when my hands are busy, but I have Watch available on my wrist.

Some callers have gotten to listen to the background sounds of cooking or washing pans or brush trimming, too. Quickly digging a phone out of a pocket with soapy hands gets messy, too.

With a cellular-capable Watch model, answering and originating calls also works when the iPhone is out of range.

TL;DR: Everything doesn’t work for everybody. Different tools can be best for different situations, too.

May 17, 2024 6:01 AM in response to drcrocketcity

My call quality is rather good on my Apple Watch.

I’ve answered phone calls while riding my bike. Much easier than digging my iPhone out.

Basically, it is faster to answer a call via my Apple Watch, then it is to answer the call with my iPhone, especially if the iPhone is on a charger in another room.

Also, only the GPS only Apple Watch needs to be nearby. If you pay for the cellular model and pay your iPhone carrier to add your Apple Watch, the iPhone can be on the other side of the world.

Besides, all the other Apple Watch functions are invaluable to me.

Things I do with my GPS Only Series 4 Apple Watch:

• It tells time, date, day of the week

• Every iPhone alarm, appears on my wrist, where you can acknowledge it, dismiss it, etc…

• I like the iPhone 3rd party “Alarmed” app (http://yoctoville.com), for my alarms

• Ring.com door bell can display a static image on the Apple Watch

• Weather (this gets used a lot)

• MyRadar 3rd party app will display radar image

• MyRadar and WeatherBug 3rd party apps will send you weather alerts

• Make/Receive phone calls

• Make/Receive FaceTime audio calls

• Use Walkie-Talkie anywhere on the planet

• Silence phone ringing by pressing the digital crown (great for SPAM calls)

• Send & receive iMessages

• Send & receive SMS TEXT

• Say “Hey Siri, 14 and a half minute timer”

• Say “Hey Siri, remind me when I get home to do xyz”

• Say “Hey Siri, message my wife/husband/Susan/George/etc…”

• Say “Hey Siri, start Outdoor Walk”

• Say “Hey Siri, end workout”

• Use a 3rd party garage door opener app and device (such as MyQ)

• You can check your calendar

• Read your email

• If you need to take an iPhone picture where you cannot see the screen, use Apple Watch Camera app as a view finder/shutter release

• 3rd party Ocean’s Tide app for beach visits

• Hand washing reminder and timer

• Unlock your Mac (I do this several times a day)

• Unlock your iPhone when you are wearing a mask

• Track your exercise and physical activities

Since my Wife got her Apple Watch, we have been able to reliably iMessage each other, as she never keeps here iPhone on her person.

If my Apple Watch was lost, stolen, or broken, I would order a replacement as fast as possible, as I would miss it so much.

May 17, 2024 6:10 AM in response to drcrocketcity

If your series 9 is a model with a cellular modem then you can make and receive phone calls, send and receive texts, read email without your iPhone being anywhere near it, if you left your iPhone at home for example.

My wife leaves her iPhone in her purse and answers phone calls from her Watch. To each their own. Why do you even ask such a question. It’s a personal decision for each person as to how they use their devices.

May 17, 2024 6:53 AM in response to drcrocketcity

The audio quality on my Series 8 sounds fine, though I've only used it with the built in speakers and mic a few times. Even with the iPhone, I almost always make and receive calls with headphones/earbuds (which sound perfect on the Apple Watch). There have been plenty of times when I've received an important call when I'm doing activities without my iPhone on me, so the option to take/make calls on the Apple Watch is very valuable to me.

Use Apple watch for phone calls?? Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.