iMac 27in (2011) Hard Disk is damaged.

Hello,

I have an old iMac 27in and the hard drive is damaged. It makes a clicking noise when you turn on the computer. It went loading and then just a white screen and reloading again, and again. Now, it is just a white screen with Folder and ? I have tried every recovery step on the Apple Website. No keyboard combinations work to get into Recovery Mode and did not work as well when trying to reset NVRM.

My current system (iMac 21.5in 2109) is running Sonoma so it will not allow me to create a High Sierra.app to make a USB boot disk or use Disk Drill. Do I need to back up my entire system and downgrade to High Sierra in order to create the High Sierra. app so I can use Terminal or Disk Drill to create the USB.

How do I run recover software like Test Disk if I cannot actually get the disk recognized? Is there a way to remove the hard disk from the iMac 27in and connect it to something like an external drive where I can run this software.

I apologize about the length, but I wanted to try and provide as much detail as possible.

Thank you very much!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 16, 2024 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 10:00 PM

Based on the age of your iMac and the symptoms, it sounds like your internal drive (which I presume to be a mechanical drive from the clicking noises) has failed. It is most likely unrecoverable. This is not something you can repair or fix with a USB boot disk. And your newer Mac cannot be downgraded to High Sierra, it can only be downgraded at most to the OS that it come with when new. But that process is not simple and things like your email files and Photos Library etc. won't be readable in the older MacOS. I recommend that you not endanger your new Mac by trying to downgrade, it won't help your 2011 iMac even if you do, anyway.

Most people accept the demise of an older Mac like that when it happens. Assuming you have a reliable backup, you can move your files to another computer. If you still need to retrieve files from the failed drive, you can have it removed and try using a professional file recovery service. That will cost $hundreds at a minimum, possibly $thousands, and the recovery may or may not work; if it does work, it will likely recover only a fraction of the files, or possibly file fragments.

I looked on OWC MacSales and you can get a 1 TB replacement internal drive for your iMac for about $170 and it will cost you maybe another $100 to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider to install it. I would not spend that on such an old computer, other parts will no doubt fail in the near term future as well.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2024 10:00 PM in response to rhurowitz

Based on the age of your iMac and the symptoms, it sounds like your internal drive (which I presume to be a mechanical drive from the clicking noises) has failed. It is most likely unrecoverable. This is not something you can repair or fix with a USB boot disk. And your newer Mac cannot be downgraded to High Sierra, it can only be downgraded at most to the OS that it come with when new. But that process is not simple and things like your email files and Photos Library etc. won't be readable in the older MacOS. I recommend that you not endanger your new Mac by trying to downgrade, it won't help your 2011 iMac even if you do, anyway.

Most people accept the demise of an older Mac like that when it happens. Assuming you have a reliable backup, you can move your files to another computer. If you still need to retrieve files from the failed drive, you can have it removed and try using a professional file recovery service. That will cost $hundreds at a minimum, possibly $thousands, and the recovery may or may not work; if it does work, it will likely recover only a fraction of the files, or possibly file fragments.

I looked on OWC MacSales and you can get a 1 TB replacement internal drive for your iMac for about $170 and it will cost you maybe another $100 to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider to install it. I would not spend that on such an old computer, other parts will no doubt fail in the near term future as well.

May 17, 2024 2:07 AM in response to rhurowitz

It sounds as if

• The internal hard drive is toast
  • Even if you had, and booted from, an external startup drive, the Mac might work reliably until you had a repair shop replace the failed drive. (A failing/failed drive can throw errors even when not in active use.)

If you want to salvage your data, I believe you will have to do that from backups. (You did make backups BEFORE the hard disk died, right?). While a repair shop could remove the drive and put it in a wall-powered USB desktop drive enclosure, that wouldn't get you your data. The drive would continue to make the clicking noises in its new home, and act in a way that would make it difficult or impossible for your other computer to read it.

There are professional data recovery services who can try to recover partial data from failed hard drives, but their services cost $$$$$ (can run into many hundreds or thousands of dollars), and there is no guarantee of success.

May 17, 2024 6:41 PM in response to Servant of Cats

It was given to me by a co-worker just to see if I could possibly get it fixed. Their data was backed up to iCloud except for a few older photos and such. I figured as much along the lines of big bucks to get something retrieved possibly.

I will take all the advice and just give it a proper send off. They will be happy that at least they have 90%+ of the data in backups. I will be happy that I tried and learned a lot in the process. Thank you!

iMac 27in (2011) Hard Disk is damaged.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.