Unknown App running

My iMac was not responding properly so I rebooted. Still sounded like a lot of disk access so I checked activity monitor and saw an app running called UninstallOtherIcons. I traced it to a folder in user/library/applicationsupport/MKVtoolnix. I checked and that seems to be a legitimate set of programs but it has never been downloaded on this computer and only the one app is in it. I tried deleting the folder and it was reinstalled immediately. I can't find what is installing it. Appears to be a virus but don't know what it is doing. Has anybody seen this before?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 17, 2024 5:24 AM

6 replies

May 18, 2024 8:43 AM in response to gypsykat

What have you installed lately?

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

May 17, 2024 5:34 AM in response to gypsykat

It is something you downloaded and installed. It required your consent. It won't go by that name.

To find out what it may be so that you can go about deleting it, please read About those "<app> will damage your computer" messages - Apple Community.

Disregard its title and the manifestations of those apps which cause that dialog to appear. Just open those three folders, take a screenshot of each one, and then post three screenshots corresponding to those three folders. All three.

Unknown App running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.