Your computer has restarted because of a problem... since I bought it.

Hello everyone,

I am no expert but I am sure you can help me here. I bought an iMAC on early 2020, it is the Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019.

Since I bought it, I always had problems with the computer, but it was when I updated to Monterey in 2021 I started having the message "Your computer has restarted because of a problem.

During the years I have reset the computer many times, and also added RAM and a few months ago I changed to an SSD because the good 1TB Fusion drive in came with finally game up - I always suspected it had a problem but after several calls with Apple and taking it or a check, they always said everything was working well.

Anyways, after the full reboot and change in the Hard Drive I thought this issue would dissapear... but no, it just came back a couple of days ago. It always happen when I am away of the computer, usually during a "sleep" period, and I have finally decided to look for some help from the experts... I copied the report I received the last time and I am sharing it here with the hopes of getting some advice or finding out what could be the cause.

Thank you in advance.

- - - - -

iMac 27″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 17, 2024 3:51 PM

8 replies

May 17, 2024 4:13 PM in response to juanjofloa

What RAM (brand, spec's, link to seller) did you use to upgrade to 40GB?

What drive (brand, spec's, link to seller) did you use to replace the Fusion Drive?

To get and give a better read of what's going on with your iMac,

Download and run the free version of EtreCheckPro, from > https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Then port the Report, as per > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

May 18, 2024 9:30 AM in response to juanjofloa

Thank you.

The Read speed of the Kingston SSD is slow. It should be closer to or slightly faster that the Write speed.

You need to check with Kingston and see if they recommend enabling TRIM on that SSD.

I would also not rule out a loose, bad or compatibility issue with the aftermarket 16GB RAM modules.

First I would reseat all 4 RAM modules to make sure that they are firmly seated in the slots.

Then if that does not help, I would pull the aftermarket RAM modules and test with just the factory modules.

Mac's are very picky when it comes to RAM upgrades.

So again, I have to ask what RAM (brand, spec's, link to seller) are the aftermarket 16GB modules..?

May 18, 2024 8:33 AM in response to hcsitas

Thank you hcsitas.

It is unfortunate that I have to turn of the Screen Saver as I really like having it on while I am on the phone in my office. Do you believe this is the only solution? Is this like a bug? Because everything is configured the way you are suggesting, the only difference is the Screen Saver - Having said that, the problem had ocurred back when I had the screen saver on a longer timer than the display off - so the Screen Saver was not the issue for sure.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

May 18, 2024 12:18 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you again for all of your support den.thed,

The Memory that I bought is a Timetec 32GB KIT (2x16GB) compatible with Apple DDR 2666Mhz for Mid 2019 iMac.

I got it via Amazon, please note I live in Mexico so the amazon link is from amazon.com.mx

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07MH3KHLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I will contact KINGSTON to see if they recommend enabling TRIM - Any other thing I could do regarding the Read speed?

Thanks,

Thanks in advance,

Your computer has restarted because of a problem... since I bought it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.