Can't set up Apple ID for my elderly parent

I need to get my dad an Apple ID so I can set up a new Apple Watch and send it to him. All I get is the annoying pop up that says I can't set up an Apple ID at this time. I've been trying for two days. I have tried different phone numbers, including a land line. I have watched YouTube videos, read forums, and tried all the workarounds I can find - I still get the popup.

I want the watch mainly for the "fall alert" feature. Should I just say he's three years old and set up an "under 13" account? Is the problem that he's born in 1942? I don't know what else to try.

I am generally a huge Apple fan. But I see that this popup is common and creates a lot of questions. For Apple to say "You can't do this" and give zero explanation regarding why or how to fix is very off brand, and extremely frustrating.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 18, 2024 6:55 AM

3 replies

May 18, 2024 8:08 AM in response to Minimar7

Try and create the Apple ID on a different place, for example on the web

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and click Create Your Apple ID.
  2. Follow the onscreen steps to provide an email address, create a strong password, and set your device region. The email address that you provide will be your new Apple ID.*
  3. Enter a phone number that you can always access.
  4. Check the boxes to subscribe to Apple Updates if you'd like. This keeps you up to date on the latest news, software, products, and services from Apple.
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Follow the onscreen steps to verify your email address and phone number. 

May 18, 2024 6:25 PM in response to WheelieNick

Thank you. I have done all of these things countless times. I have tried from my MacBook (Safari and Chrome) and my iPhone. I've tried through the iCloud website. I've tried by going through Settings. I've tried to add him as a family member through "Family," but can only add a child under 13. I've tried with a Yahoo! email, I've tried with a Gmail email. I've tried with a cell phone number, I've tried with a landline. I've tried with his real age, I've tried with a younger age. Every time, when I enter all the things, I get a popup with this: "Your request could not be completed at this time. Your account cannot be created at this time." I will have to visit the Genius Bar. It's just so incredibly frustrating to keep getting the same message over and over with no additional indication of what is wrong.

May 19, 2024 1:23 PM in response to Minimar7

Update: I engaged in Apple Chat and the representative was able to get me to a point where I could complete the process and get an Apple ID. I asked him what the problem was. He replied, " I requested verification from the third party email providers for confirmation to allow use as a primary Apple ID account email, which looks to have resolved this."

Can't set up Apple ID for my elderly parent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.