My iPad Pro 10.5 will not update since 16.7.2

It goes through all the motions of updating - downloading and installing on each update - but just isn’t installing the update. Has anyone else had this problem?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 19, 2024 3:04 AM

7 replies

May 19, 2024 3:18 AM in response to Ocean Queen

An iPad Pro 10.5" is capable of update to iPadOS 17.x - at the time of writing, this being iPadOS 17.5.

If your iPad is capable of update to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while an iPad may be capable of update, in some circumstances you may need to use a computer to perform the update. To do so, you will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows - or more recent Apple Devices App installed) or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Apple Devices App (Windows PC):

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9np83lwlpz9k?hl=en-ms&gl=MS

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter; keeping your iPad connected to its Power Adapter throughout the update process is recommended - as this will keep the WiFi connection alive.

Your iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

May 19, 2024 3:08 PM in response to Ocean Queen

You might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to offer assistance:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 19, 2024 12:39 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for all the info and your assistance, I had tried all of these steps, but have tried once again to update with my MacBook Air which is on OS Sonoma 14.5 (updated today), but just keeps coming up with an error message when part way through updating. The iPad had been charged fully before starting, I have restarted both the iPad and the MacBook but again it hasn't enabled me to finish the update. Just wondered whether you have any ideas on where I can go from here?

May 19, 2024 4:11 PM in response to Ocean Queen

Ocean Queen wrote:

Thanks for all the info and your assistance, I had tried all of these steps, but have tried once again to update with my MacBook Air which is on OS Sonoma 14.5 (updated today), but just keeps coming up with an error message when part way through updating.

If you can post the text of the error message someone might know how to resolve the problem. Without knowing the exact failure message all bets are off.

My iPad Pro 10.5 will not update since 16.7.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.