Can a new (current) motherboard be put in s 2009 Mac Pro case

I have a Mac Pro (circa 2009). I bought it because Apple said you could swap out the motherboard in the future, and stay current. I never saw another motherboard for that computer.

I now see similar (but obviously different) aluminum cases, and I’m wondering if the dream might finally be a reality…?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 19, 2024 11:10 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2024 5:42 PM in response to MadnessByDesign

If I had to make some kind of educated guess, I’d have to go with “no”…I’ve never heard of Apple saying that, ever….swapping out the motherboard/logicboard and staying current ? Never heard of it… there are a few Mac Pro Facebook groups you might want to check out and who could probably do a better job of answering your question…

John B

May 20, 2024 7:39 AM in response to MadnessByDesign

I don't know how you were left with that impression, but that has NEVER been a supported option. Not for your Mac or any other models.

Drives could be moved into new Bays in a newer model (if so equipped). PCIe cards could also be moved, but in the years since the original 2006 model, the original drives and original PCIe cards are completely obsolete.

Hobbyists have force-downloaded the firmware from the Mac Pro 5,1 [RISKY!] the 2009 model and if it does not get "bricked", it keeps working as a 5,1 -- slightly extending its life.

After the firmware upgrade, if you also upgraded to a Metal-capable graphics card, you could consider running 10.14 Mojave.

Along with that, some hobbyists have upgraded the processors on the firmware-upgraded 5,1 model. But if you have the DUAL-chip model, only Lid-less processors will work, and you would have find some de-lidded or do it yourself. Requires many razor blades and risks cutting your fingers badly!

Can a new (current) motherboard be put in s 2009 Mac Pro case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.