New series download on Roku: closed captioning not working

I have downloaded the first two seasons of a TV series on Apple TV, and have been playing them back over a Roku device. Closed captioning was working fine (and still does) on the first two seasons. However, when I try to watch Season 3 with closed captions, no luck. Closed captioning is enabled on both the Roku and in the Apple TV app, but there are no captions. How can I fix this?

Posted on May 19, 2024 9:31 PM

1 reply

May 20, 2024 2:30 AM in response to KCharlene

No need to download content when you stream directly in the Apple TV app on Roku.

If you however insist on downloading, then you would presumably stream using AirPlay.

• For AirPlay of local files, the closed captions can only be shown if they are present in the downloaded file. Verify that on the source device.
  • For AirPlay, the subtitles or closed captions are used as set on the receiving device, not the sending device. Verify if the Roku (still) has its AirPlay settings configured for closed captions, or else the general device settings.
  • It is possible that the supplying studio changed the inclusion of captions between seasons. Verify if captions are said to be included in season 3.

If you disclose the series title, then maybe other users with access to the same content can verify from their side.

New series download on Roku: closed captioning not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.