How to fix black screen on MacBook Pro running macOS 13.6.6?

My Mac runs os 13.6.6. When I turn it on, I can hear the laptop running but the screen is black. I do not have a cursor nor can I see the brightness function keys. The top bar of my keyboard only shows the backlit esc key. Any ideas? I did try turning it off while pressing Option and Command keys but when I restarted the problem remained.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 20, 2024 12:07 AM

3 replies

May 20, 2024 12:16 AM in response to Hilltop14

Hilltop14 Said:

"MacBook Pro screen black: My Mac runs is 13.6.6. When I turn it on, I can hear the laptop running but the screen is black. I do not have a cursor nor can I see the brightness function keys. The top bar of my keyboard only shows the backlit esc key. Any ideas? I did try turning it off while pressing Option and Command keys but when I restarted the problem remained."

-------

Troubleshooting a Black Mac Screen:

A. Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

B. Mirror the Screen:

Try Mirroring the Screen to an External Monitor:

Doing so with the Keyboard:

• No Touch Bar: [Hold Down: command + Press: F1]
  • With a Tech Bar: [Hold Down: command + Press: dim display on the Touch Bar]

May 20, 2024 7:03 AM in response to Hilltop14

Hilltop14 Said:

"MacBook Pro screen black: I tried resetting the SMC. I then tried Mac OS Recovery but while the laptop turned on, the screen remained blank. No Apple logo or spinning globe. I can’t try Mirroring the screen because the Touch Bar (with FN keys) does not illuminate. Looks like I will need to make a Genius Bar appointment!

———-

I agree. Seems you may have some hardware errors here. So, taking it in for a Genius Bar Appointment is the next rout to take.

How to fix black screen on MacBook Pro running macOS 13.6.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.