Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't get rid of Phantom Hub(s) - Please help!

Using "new architecture" on HomeKit and the problem Apple TV is an A1625.

Looking for advice on how to deal with phantom Apple TV hub(s). Photo in link. I removed an Apple TV “Den TV (2)” from my ecosystem. It was removed from my device list under iCloud and then factory reset. That should be the end of the story.

But it continued to show up as a phantom hub, so on the advice of some reddit thread, I reconnected the old TV to my HomeKit ecosystem and the same Apple TV - now called “Entertainment Room” was again removed from device list and factory resets. But now they both still show up as no-response hubs.

https://imgur.com/a/fo5EpbY

I have:

-obviously, tried to reconnect the old (but factory reset) Apple TV and remove it again, but that didn’t work - it just doubled down on the phantom hubs

- waited one month (some folks say the phantom hubs will disappear eventually)

- unplugged ALL HomeKit hubs, rebooted router, and turned off iPad and iPhone then started everything back up (this essentially reboots the HomeKit system)

-checked to make sure the old Apple TV is not listed as a device for any family members

If the only solution is to factory reset every single hub and rebuild the entire system (I have 3 TVs and 8 hompods and over 100 devices), I’m just going to give up on HomeKit and move to a different smart home system. Please tell me there is another way!

I’m desperate for ideas at this point. Has anyone had this issues and fixed it?

Thanks for your help.

Apple TV HD

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 10:57 AM

I'm the creator of the thread on Reddit. I still have the phantom 'default room' home hub. It has been nearly 3 months. While it causes no immediate issues with my HomeKit it's annoying and makes it harder to tell when I actually have an unresponsive device that needs to be fixed.

I keep hoping an update will fix the issue. I'm losing that hope since it sounds like the problem started with iOS16 long before my issue.

I'm glad others are also contacting Apple. I've tried text support and have submitted bugs with the Feedback app.

Similar questions

73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2023 10:57 AM in response to toddtredway

I'm the creator of the thread on Reddit. I still have the phantom 'default room' home hub. It has been nearly 3 months. While it causes no immediate issues with my HomeKit it's annoying and makes it harder to tell when I actually have an unresponsive device that needs to be fixed.

I keep hoping an update will fix the issue. I'm losing that hope since it sounds like the problem started with iOS16 long before my issue.

I'm glad others are also contacting Apple. I've tried text support and have submitted bugs with the Feedback app.

Jan 9, 2024 4:21 AM in response to JHP392093

I have the same problem, and have tried just about every ‘solution’ I can find online (to no avail). Apple TV 4K (gen 1). I suspect it happens when you reset an Apple TV that is the active (connected) home hub. Has anybody ended up with this issue (i.e. a ghost hub that can’t be removed by simple fixes such as removing it from iCloud) where the hub in question was in standby mode?

I’ve been on to Apple three times. I’ve been told it’s a global, reasonably common, bug that Apple is actively working on, and that it should be fixed, via an update, once Apple work out what’s causing it.

Until an update, maybe, arrives, all I can do is wait 45 days (or delete my home - which would be too much hassle for me - complex smart home setup). If there is no ping to Apple servers from the ghost hub for 45 days it should be removed. I asked if the Apple TV is still in use, and is pinging the server, could this result in the ghost hub not being removed in 45 days. The reply was… maybe. As such, I’ve reset my Apple TV again, unplugged it, and will keep it in a draw for the next 45 days. This should maximise the potential that it will be removed in 45 days. Down one Apple TV :( Not impressed, but I can’t stand the constant error symbol!!

May 4, 2023 11:40 AM in response to JHP392093

So I also had this problem and after reading this post and trying all the steps the original poster suggested, I actually did go nuclear and spent an entire day removing accessories, fully deleting my Home, and rebuilding the entire thing by rejoining each accessory again.

And then just today, fully functioning under the freshly rebuilt Home, I removed the last Apple TV HD I had so that I could swap in a new 4K and the issue occurred again. The reset Apple TV HD is now showing as an unresponsive hub and my freshly rebuilt setup is doing exactly the same thing it was doing before.

I seriously hope this is a known software bug that Apple is able to help with, as I've now spent a whole day fixing this issue and I'm on track to have to do the same thing a second time.

Does anyone know of anything else to suggest?

Apr 27, 2024 8:00 PM in response to Vicelow

Did you get logged out of your Apple ID for no reason? I did. Search the web. This happened to me on Friday. I had to reset my Apple ID password. I asked all devices to be logged out. This was a pain, I have 14 devices in the household, including Apple TVs and HomePods. I first updated iPads, iPhones, MacBooks. I then opened HomeKit and found it non functional. I had to update those passwords. Once I did, HomeKit did not work till I unplug my Apple TV and did a restart. HomeKit came back to life and I noticed my two phantom hubs were removed.

I'm not sure if logging out of all the devices and logging back in did the trick.

i have no explanation for these unverified failures from Apple.

Note: Apple would not let me post the link on the password reset.

Apr 28, 2024 5:13 AM in response to Meckisland

@Meckisland I also had some weird thing happen with my Apple ID Friday night, around 9PM ET. All my devices starting throwing Apple ID errors and I ended up having to reset my password. I didn’t log out all my devices when I did, but I effectively had to log into all of my devices again before they would work normally. I also had to factory reset one OG HomePod. All of my home hubs had disappeared from the Home app (device still showed in its room, but not in the Hubs list) and when the list finally came back, the OG HomePod displayed as “Default Room” in the hub list despite still showing properly in its room. The factory reset brought everything back in like at least.

Here’s the weirdest bit—I have no phantom hubs because back when I was dealing with this issue I blew up and recreated my full Home setup to fix it. So it almost seems like Apple had to fix something at an account level and whatever the fix was resulted in people having to do a password reset. Weird…

May 4, 2023 1:19 PM in response to cakefornoreason

I posted just above you what you might need to do. This sometimes happens with HomePods where you factory reset them but they are still ‘ there’.

Other than that, it’s been awhile since this thread begun and there’s a significant Home upgrade you might want to install: Upgrade to the new Home architecture - Apple Support. Please read carefully, as once you’ve installed the upgrade any devices not able to run the latest OS won’t be able to use the Home App. This goes for others you invite to share Home. Devices running the latest can use the Home App to control Home. It’s optional at this point in time and up to you if you wish to proceed with it.

Dec 29, 2023 10:32 AM in response to JHP392093

I haven't seen anyone post these steps. These are the steps I used to remove my phantom appletv:

1. remove appletv in question from icloud account.
  2. on apple tv (for the moment, ignore apple tv asking you to verify account settings) change device name to something new
  3. after changing device name, verify account settings by following apple tv's on-screen popup directing you to sign back in
  4. after logging back in, verify new device name by looking at your list of devices in icloud settings.

NOTE: Do not sign back in Apple TV until after you've changed device name. Otherwise, the name change might not set (yes, yet another related bug).

Can't get rid of Phantom Hub(s) - Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.