Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone keeps asking me to allow Toyota app to communicate each time I connect to CarPlay

I recently got a new car that has wireless CarPlay. I've set everything up with my car's multimedia console and my iPhone to automatically connect to CarPlay every time I start my vehicle, which it does without issue and CarPlay itself works fine. However, every time it connects I keep getting prompted with this notification (see screenshot below) in my iPhone from the Toyota app asking "to communicate with the Toyota Multimedia TOYOTA RAV4" and gives me the option to either "Ignore" or "Allow." Initially I thought that by clicking "Allow" it would be a one time granting of permission for the app and my RAV's multimedia console, but that has not been the case as it asks me this EVERY time my phone connects via CarPlay. When I do click "allow" it opens up the Toyota app, but just takes me to the app's home screen and doesn't indicate that any action has occurred. When I click "ignore" the notification goes away, but in either instance the functionality of CarPlay isn't actually impacted, so this communication request actually seems quite pointless (not to mention annoying as I can't use my phone until I click one of those buttons).

That said, I've combed through every possible setting related to the Toyota app and Apple CarPlay, but haven't been able to find any way of disabling this pointless notification. Has anyone else been experiencing this and/or found a way to disable this notification?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 6:48 PM

Not sure if you found a solution yet but I ran into this while trying to figure out this issue. I actually found the solution today. You need to go to the Toyota app in your setting and disable Bluetooth for the Toyota app on your iPhone (Setting -> Toyota -> Bluetooth). This will stop this annoying prompt.

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 6:48 PM in response to smwillia

Not sure if you found a solution yet but I ran into this while trying to figure out this issue. I actually found the solution today. You need to go to the Toyota app in your setting and disable Bluetooth for the Toyota app on your iPhone (Setting -> Toyota -> Bluetooth). This will stop this annoying prompt.

Apr 21, 2023 9:01 AM in response to ckg1971

I am having a similar issue with a new Bz4x. Every time I walk near the car, I get a phone notification like the one in the screen shot above. I have set the Toyota app and my iPhone to "always allow", but I get it anyway. Several times, moreover, I have gotten an iPhone notification that says (not word-for-word) that "You have been connecting to this app frequently; should I set it to "always allow"?. I tap on "Allow", but nothing changes.

There is nowhere I can see in the Toyota app to change the notifications/permissions. Like the original poster, I have followed every menu in the app that might be relevant, and found nothing. I called Toyota and the agent looked through the car's record and said nothing was out of order, it must be an issue with Apple.

We Apple and Toyota users -- a sizable community, no? -- would really appreciate it if Apple and Toyota would put their heads together on this issue (many people asking!), instead of having each of them say "it must be a problem with [fill in the other company]"!

Mar 23, 2023 12:36 PM in response to smwillia

Thanks for reaching out smwillia,

It sounds like you're seeing an alert from the Toyota app on your iPhone. We can help.

From what you've shared, it sounds like you are actually having two different services connect with your RAV4, and because they try to connect at the same time it is confusing to know which one is generating the message.

Based on your description, CarPlay is connecting correctly, and the reason the 'Ignore' and 'Allow' options have no impact on CarPlay performance is because CarPlay isn't the App asking. Your Toyota app is the one asking.

You can check out Toyota's support site for additional information, but it is ultimately the App that wants to connect to your car. There may be a setting in the app itself to disable these prompts, and Toyota offers a number of services that could be related: https://www.toyota.com/connected-services/

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Jul 7, 2023 6:48 PM in response to PQuincy

This worked!!! Use CarPlay with your iPhone - Apple Support

The most important thing from the link is this instruction:

"If your car supports CarPlay both wirelessly and with a USB cable, plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. An alert on your iPhone will offer to connect you wirelessly on your next drives."

After doing this, the alert showed up the next time I connected wirelessly. However, it went away on its own very quickly without doing the annoying pressing of "Allow" or "Ignore," which I had to do every time before.

Apr 21, 2023 9:03 AM in response to PQuincy

PS: I have one difference from the original poster. About half the time, my Toyota does _not_ recognize me (in AirPlay), and says "no profile found, guest profile used". I cannot be sure this happens when I don't hit the "Allow" on that notification or not, as it's fleeting and erratic. The car works fine, the Toyota app seems connected, but the AV/AirPlay are not initiated. The second I hit the "Power" button to turn the car off, then, it recognizes that I am there, in most cases.

It just feels like the connection with AirPlay is glitchy, and as a user, I have no idea whether this is a Toyota issue or an Apple issue. What I do know is that none of the online help at either company addresses this, so far, as far as I can determine.

Apr 21, 2023 7:40 PM in response to PQuincy

My connection is glitchy too. I have started just plugging in my phone because it frustrates me too much not being able to figure out these issues.

I set it up twice according to the directions but maybe I’ll try once more making sure I do it with the usb cord plugged in (I can’t remember if the instrucutions I followed made me do that or not .

Jun 10, 2023 9:34 PM in response to AdvisorMP

Hmmmm... reading this thread again, and lamenting the lameness of the official Apple response (the link that AdvisorMP [a chatbot or human?] is to Toyota, but not to anything useful.).

I wondered whether it was a permission for a Wi-Fi connection, but my Wi-Fi on my Toyota is off (both Wi-Fi and Hot-Spot are off), and the Bluetooth is present.

Erratic recognition continues: I was in the car, recognized. Turned it off, opened and closed the door, pushed Start again, and it didn't recognize me and required manual selection of Driver and PIN. Ughhhhhh.

iPhone keeps asking me to allow Toyota app to communicate each time I connect to CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.