Reset your personal dictionary cannot reset text replacement

I want to reset my text replacement, and I tried to reset my personal dictionary according to this page Save keystrokes with text replacements on iPhone - Apple Support (IE), but it is not working. Anyone have the same problem?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 9:13 PM

Hello futandrew!

Text Replacement and Personal Dictionary (aka Autocorrect) are two different things. When your Autocorrect is misbehaving, and it’s “correct words” are incorrect, that’s when it’s time to reset it.

Text Replacement words cannot be reset. They must be deleted one by one. Here’a how:

Go to: Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement. Now, in the bottom left corner tap “Edit” and then tap the red circles next to the words you want to delete, and finally tap “Delete” to confirm.

Have a nice day, and good luck!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 9:13 PM in response to futandrew

Hello futandrew!

Text Replacement and Personal Dictionary (aka Autocorrect) are two different things. When your Autocorrect is misbehaving, and it’s “correct words” are incorrect, that’s when it’s time to reset it.

Text Replacement words cannot be reset. They must be deleted one by one. Here’a how:

Go to: Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement. Now, in the bottom left corner tap “Edit” and then tap the red circles next to the words you want to delete, and finally tap “Delete” to confirm.

Have a nice day, and good luck!

Aug 18, 2023 2:15 PM in response to H1290

Yes, obviously, some app screwed up it, or there were some glitches in the iCloud.

Yes, I tried to select all and delete from my Mac, but it is interestingly not syncing the deletion to my phone or pad. I asked for apple support a few times in the past two years, but no updates were heard from them. I tried the new iOS 17 and hopped this is fixed. Sadly, it is still there. I'm planning to register a new Apple ID now, but all my purchase history will be gone. I am still hesitating to move forward on this issue. Every time it gets stuck when I'm typing (it slows down the typing because the system is trying to search all 5000+ items in this text replacement) really drives me crazy.

Thanks for your input and help, though! Really appreciated.

May 9, 2024 5:15 AM in response to futandrew

Oh my gosh—what is it with Apple replacing common words with names? Every time I type “is,” my phone changes it to “Isabella!” I don’t even know anyone with that name.

the phone also hasn’t leaned my daughter’s name, which I type often, so it corrects her name to a sorry of similar one. Argh!

l don’t want to turn off autocorrect altogether, but I’ll try the replace method.

Reset your personal dictionary cannot reset text replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.