Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

How to update a synchronized clip that's already in the timeline

When importing all my media into Final Cut Pro, I synchronized the audio from my recorder with my video files for editing. I didn't - at the time - manage my audio roles properly. Now that my edit is finalized, I'm looking to categorize all my audio into roles and export them separately to send to my sound editor.

I've gone through the browser assigned proper roles to my source material and edited my synchronized clips to have the proper audio roles.

Problem: these updates are not being reflected in the timeline. If I create a new test timeline and insert the modified clips into it, the roles appear as I would expect, but the existing timeline isn't being updated to reflect the changes. I thought about trying to "step into" the synchronized clips from the timeline - like I would a compound clip - but FCP is only separating the audio and video component.

Is there a way to update the synchronized clips in my existing timeline (to match those in my browser) without having to restart the whole edit?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 11:53 PM

It may take a while, if there are many cuts in them, but one way to update a clip in the timeline is the following:

Select the clip in the timeline; press Shift-F to Reveal in Browser; drag the browser clip onto the one in the timeline, and choose Replace.

Similar questions

2 replies

How to update a synchronized clip that's already in the timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.