Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Homepod Mini - Setup Failed (-5320)

Bought 2 Homepod Mini's to add to my house network today. Got home and tried to set them up. Both Homepods were stuck at configuring. One asks me to input my Apple ID password. I reset the password after it failed several times and asked again, and it continued to say it failed. I plugged them into my Mac to factory reset and install the newest firmware and now I'm getting the above error code when the Homepod asks me to sign in during setup. Any ideas? I've restarted my iPhone and Macbook Air, my phone is on the latest iOS. I have another Homepod Mini already configured on the Home and it works perfectly fine. I've also tried adding a "Test Home" and "Test Room" to try to see if they would work there. This has been going on for several hours and is starting to get frustrating. Seems like a lot of people have trouble adding extra Homepods to their Home.

HomePod mini

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2023 8:28 AM

Hi - you aren’t (sadly) alone. I tried to rebuild and setup a new HomePod this morning and got exactly the same as you.

I have been on the phone with Apple support and they’ve taken syslogs from my iPad mini whilst the setup error is happening and logged it as a case.

If I don’t hear back before, I have an update call booked for next Tuesday, 19th December at 10am with the guy I spoke with.

I’ll let you know what I find out as at the moment I have an expensive paperweight!

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2023 8:28 AM in response to ASomerville772

Hi - you aren’t (sadly) alone. I tried to rebuild and setup a new HomePod this morning and got exactly the same as you.

I have been on the phone with Apple support and they’ve taken syslogs from my iPad mini whilst the setup error is happening and logged it as a case.

If I don’t hear back before, I have an update call booked for next Tuesday, 19th December at 10am with the guy I spoke with.

I’ll let you know what I find out as at the moment I have an expensive paperweight!

Dec 14, 2023 11:39 AM in response to ASomerville772

Same for me. All of my hubs, and the iPhone, were upgraded to 17.2. I had to remove one of the homepod minis from homekit, reset the homepod mini, and then I attempted to add back into the home. I've tried five times, continually receive the -5320 error.

Some have said this is a problem with 17.2. Others have suggested to just keep trying and it may work.

Feb 14, 2024 2:52 AM in response to ASomerville772

I have the same problem since December 2023. Previously functioning HomePod mini refuses to set up with either error -7003 (if I don't enter iCloud password - something that should not even come up during set up), or -5320 if I do enter it. Spent an hour with an Apple engineer, very clear and helpful, but could not fix the issue. Suggested my work profiles needed for WiFi and VPN may affect communication and should be removed as last resort. But without clear hope for resolution, I am not willing to go through this extra step. I was able to set it up with someone else's account and device without a problem, so it must be tied to my configuration or iCloud account. I'm hoping that 17.4 will change something eventually.

Some of the things we tried without effect: disabling iCloud advanced data protection, using another WLAN, removing and adding home, restoring pod software, trying both iPhone and iPad, removing VPN software.

Mar 18, 2024 10:06 AM in response to ASomerville772

Hi, I’ve also been plagued by this dreaded -5320 error code and similarly I’ve tried all the resets recommended. Currently running 17.4.

I’m keen to enquire if these problems relate to my Wi-Fi router? I’m on BT Broadband using the 2020 Smart Hub2.

I’ve now switched off 5Ghz and forced all devices to connect over 2.4Ghz. Interested to hear if any of you are running same or have suggestions?

Ever hopeful.

Mar 18, 2024 11:31 AM in response to Hilly67

I tried two WiFi networks at home, and one at work, with various settings (two or one channel, WPS enabled or not, etc.). None of this made a difference. Do you have any profiles installed (Settings>General>VPN & Device Management), Hilly67? That is the last remaining lead from the long session with Apple technician. I have them on both my iOS/iPadOS devices and it's too much of a pain to remove them and then reinstall them.

Homepod Mini - Setup Failed (-5320)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.