AppleTV tvOS 17.4 (21L227) major issues loading content

After the 17.4 update I have noticed that there are more frequent issues loading content in AppleTV+ as well as in the Youtube and Netflix apps on AppleTV.

If I play a movie through without using "skip intro" or any fast forward/backward it will generally run, but use any such functions and it will often throw the spinning wait icon forever. I then usually have to exit the movie entierely, double click and swipe up to end all apps and/or system restart and it will work again.

Netflix app will sometimes throw an error code when not being able to load content 2003329396 or spinning icon.

AppleTV+ just "problem loading content" check your internet...

Youtube app will show spinning icon much more frequently. Additionally after the very latest 17.4 update starting commercials will often just hang, not play, wait icon spinning and duration info for commercial being frozen in time at 40 sec, 30 sec or whatever the length of the commercial. Starting a video repeatedly the various advertisers will cycle through with different advertisments but all stuck at start. Until finally it may skip the advertisment. May of course be a Youtube problem as well, but never experience this on my PC/Chrome based play. IMO if advertisements seize up and prevent you from viewing the content it is double bad both for the advertiser and content creator on Youtube.

In sum AppleTV OS 17.4 seems much more unstable and prone to hang. I use 4K HDR 50Hz and degrading to 1080p improves it a bit but does not solve it. Wifi strenght should be ample with 5 out of 5 Wifi signal strenght

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 2:40 PM

Another observation is that the issues with freezing/stopping to load content seems to affect all apps on AppleTV

I do think this is a programming error in Apple TVOS 17.4 (21L227)

Had no issues with AppleTV until the last few iterations of TVOS 17.x where pause/play FFWD FBKWD etc started messing up.

Playing the same apps on other units works, so the conclusion is that it is TVOS 17.4 (21L227) that is seriously FUBAR.

Very annoying as I am also subscribing to Apple TV+ and the problems are the same there.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2024 2:40 PM in response to runejw

Another observation is that the issues with freezing/stopping to load content seems to affect all apps on AppleTV

I do think this is a programming error in Apple TVOS 17.4 (21L227)

Had no issues with AppleTV until the last few iterations of TVOS 17.x where pause/play FFWD FBKWD etc started messing up.

Playing the same apps on other units works, so the conclusion is that it is TVOS 17.4 (21L227) that is seriously FUBAR.

Very annoying as I am also subscribing to Apple TV+ and the problems are the same there.

Apr 11, 2024 1:33 PM in response to runejw

As Netflix continues to show error 2003329396 after I just do some fast forward I found my LG TV remote and tried running the Netflix app that is available directly on this smart TV (from 2017) and absolutely no issues. Could skip forward and backwards in the movie without any problem loading content.

So that should eliminate internet/bandwidth issues.

I really do not know what the AppleTV developers are doing with each TVOS version becoming less reliable and failing for what used to be basic backwards/forwards skipping in the movie...

Will try to submit a support questions.

*Edit* Think I was able to submit a problem, but it was like they have asked ChatGPT to design the most convoluted way to report actual issues that are not in the self-help/user manual section. Sigh...

Apr 28, 2024 9:11 AM in response to runejw

I have been having the same issue but primarily with Youtube TV. Once it does a “buffer freeze” the only solution is to restart the ATV box. Tried reloading the App. No help. Moved from Ethernet to WiFi. No help. This started with the update before last. No issues with our iPhones, iPads, Roku devices, or even the otherwise crappy LG OS. Might have to wait for the soon to be released gen 4 box and if that doesn’t solve it, will return it and move to Roku Ultra.

May 8, 2024 9:15 AM in response to runejw

Problems are persistent. Since last time also configured AppleTV for SDR instead of HDR but did not help.

Watching "Sugar" latest episode there is pre-roll commercial for "Dark Matters" and if I skip that then again the same issue with "Unable to load content" have to restart the Apple TV+ app to progress. Same with any pausing.

Really disappointed with Alpple. Will end my subscription for AppleTV+ if this issue continues.

AppleTV tvOS 17.4 (21L227) major issues loading content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.