Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to connect MacBook to video display using Type-C DP Alt+Charge

Hi, fellows!

Does native macBook Type-C cable support DP connection?

Need to connect my MacBook to a video display with Type-C DP Alt+charge.

If not - is there an Apple offer of that cable that does?

Is there any picture quality difference btwn HDMI and DP?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 10:01 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2024 10:42 AM in response to Alejandro_64

I don't know what you mean by "native Apple USB-C cable".

usb c cable - Apple

If you're referring to the Apple 60W and 240W USB-C charge cables, neither of those would be appropriate. The descriptions on the Apple Store site say that they are "charging" cables that support data transfer at USB 2 rates.

The Apple Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) Pro cables should work. The description of the 1-meter one says

"Featuring a black braided design that coils without tangling, this 1-meter cable supports Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4, and USB 4 data transfer up to 40Gb/s, USB 3 data transfer up to 10Gb/s, DisplayPort video output (HBR3), and charging up to 100W. Use this cable to connect a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 or 4 (USB-C) ports to Thunderbolt (USB-C) and USB displays and devices such as Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, docks, and hard drives. You can also use this cable to connect iPhone 15 Pro to Mac."

These cables are likely overkill for your application. You're paying extra for the sort of construction that makes the cables suitable not just for DisplayPort, but for Thunderbolt 3 & 4.

I'm using a third-party USB-C cable that came in the box with my monitor.

Apr 6, 2024 10:05 AM in response to Alejandro_64

Alejandro_64 wrote:

Yes, that's correct.

I take it that your question is about the Mac. Assuming that

• You have a monitor that takes USB-C (DisplayPort) input, and supports USB-C Power Delivery
  • You have a suitable USB-C to USB-C cable
  • You have a Mac notebook with one or more built-in USB-C ports that support DisplayPort and charging (a bit redundant – since all built-in USB-C ports on Mac notebooks released to date do)
  • You are not exceeding the Mac's Technical Specifications for number or resolution of displays
  • You plug the USB-C cable into a USB-C port on the Mac and into the appropriate USB-C port on the monitor (some have multiple USB-C ports, only one of which is designated for USB-C (DisplayPort) input)

you should be able to make a USB-C (DisplayPort, charging) connection.

You could not plug the HDMI end of a USB-C to HDMI adapter into a HDMI port on a Mac, and the USB-C end into a monitor, and expect things to work. Those adapters are designed to work in the other direction, with the USB-C end plugged into a computer.

Apr 6, 2024 4:15 AM in response to Alejandro_64

All USB-C cables are not created alike. There are "charging cables" that might not carry data at all or that might not be suitable for carrying it at USB 3.0 rates – let alone the rates a display needs. You want a cable that

• Supports USB-C (DisplayPort) video traffic, and
  • Supports USB-C Power Delivery at wattages at least as high as what your monitor is capable of delivering

Apr 24, 2024 5:31 AM in response to Alejandro_64

Alejandro_64 wrote:

Thank you!

Last question: any cheaper solutions come into mind?

There must be other USB-C cables supporting DP Alt and charging on market?

As I said before, I'm using a third-party USB-C cable that came in the box with my monitor. I'm sure it must be rated for USB-C (DP Alt Mode, Power Delivery) – but not for Thunderbolt.

Amazon carries a number of USB-C monitor cables, like this one ("sold by Cable Matters; ships from Amazon"):

Cable Matters 20Gbps USB C to USB C Monitor Cable 6 ft / 1.8m with 4K 120Hz & 8K 30Hz, 240W Power Delivery, USB C Video Cable/USB C Display Cable with USB-C 3.2 20Gbps Data Transfer

Here you're looking at $15 or $18 (for 3-feet and 6-feet cables), as opposed to $69 or $129 (for 1-meter and 1.8-meter Apple Thunderbolt 4 Pro cables). The same vendor (Cable Matters) also has a 1-meter Intel-Certified TB4 cable for sale for $32. (Cheaper than the Apple cable, but still more than double the the price of the cable which wasn't designed to handle 40 Gbps traffic.)

Cable Matters [Intel Certified] 40Gbps Thunderbolt 4 Cable 3.3ft with 8K Video and 240W Charging - 1m, Compatible with USB4, Thunderbolt 3 Cable and USB-C

How to connect MacBook to video display using Type-C DP Alt+Charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.