Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Pencil undetectable after update 17.4.1

Was working fine right up to the point before I allowed for the update to be installed. Right after the update, the pencil did not work but was at least on the list of device on Bluetooth. I restarted the iPad as per suggested troubleshoot solution. After the restart, the pen cannot be detected on Bluetooth but the airpad registers it when I put it into the slot. Pencil is fully charged. Everything worked fine until the software update.

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 6, 2024 8:26 AM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2024 7:03 AM in response to gyce

Failure of your Apple Pencil coinciding with an update of your iPad is nothing more than a coincidence.

Gently warming a fully discharged Pencil will often revive a fully depleted battery - such that it can accept sufficient charge for the Pencil to work. Warming, is a short term fix.

If a Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery can be damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge. The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

As for longevity, a properly maintained and cared-for Pencil should provide many years of reliable use. By example, I have two first generation Pencils used with two different iPad Pro 10.5" device. These Pencils are at least 6+ years old - are properly maintained with regular charging - and are still going strong. Similarly, a second generation Pencil used with a more recent iPad, remains without issue after three years of use.

Apr 16, 2024 12:37 PM in response to XFitJaxMom

Well, I went through 4 Apple support people. The first two simply asked me to reset. After I reset, I noticed a black band on my Home Screen.

Apple support start no 3 guided me through assessing that it’s a software issue and not a hardware issue. I knew that because everything went south after the update.

Last support staff told me to hook the iPad to my laptop and reset from iTunes. I did that and the problems persisted- a black band across the screen and pencil cannot connect via Bluetooth.

They are asking me to now go to an Apple repair shop to enter DFU mode. I have to pay for this. I’m so disappointed with Apple. WTF.

Apr 19, 2024 2:39 AM in response to gyce

Latest update.

Heating pencil helps to make pencil findable and connected BUT pencil does not charge.

I went to the authorised repair store and they told me to buy a new pencil.

Does Apple expect us to buy a new pencil every time they roll out an update that screw up the pencil???

Honestly, I am not buying another apple pencil. This is really horrible.

Google this issue and it has been persisting since a year ago. All they come up with is ultimately users buy a new pencil because software bugs???

Apr 24, 2024 7:37 AM in response to gyce

I’m having the same problem. I somehow got a temporary fix on this by turning Bluetooth off and then on and rebooting the iPad. But now the pencil is undetectable to the iPad, and the same procedure is not working. Help would be appreciated. I have not ever let the pencil battery get down to 0%. It’s always resting on the iPad as it’s supposed to do. I’m stuck, and I do not want to buy another Apple Pencil. I am about to give up.

Apple Pencil undetectable after update 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.