Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

When i type 'The' on my iphone it corrects to 'Theresa'

I have reset my keyboard dictionary. I have set up a text replacement to convert Theresa to The. I cannot figure out how to make it stop autocorrecting.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 1, 2024 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 3:06 PM

I have this too. Also She gets turned into Sheryl. This is so annoying. When these words The or She appear at the beginning of a sentence, I type the word, then the space bar, and the autocorrect changes it to Theresa or Sheryl. No, I did not program this substitution and no, I do not want to turn off predictive text. Please tell me how to stop this.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2024 3:06 PM in response to ianfromfrederick

I have this too. Also She gets turned into Sheryl. This is so annoying. When these words The or She appear at the beginning of a sentence, I type the word, then the space bar, and the autocorrect changes it to Theresa or Sheryl. No, I did not program this substitution and no, I do not want to turn off predictive text. Please tell me how to stop this.

Apr 19, 2024 11:59 AM in response to ianfromfrederick

This was happening to me too. My sister's name is Theresa so I used it a good bit but this situation was making me nuts. I finally went in and looked at settings.

Go to General

Keyboard

Text Replacement

Then add"The" in both the shortcut column and in the replacement column.

Now it will type The every time. I have a feeling I may be having to correct Theresa. I haven't tried that yet, but I use "The" a lot more so I'm happy with it

I didn't want to turn auto correct completely off since I usually find it very helpful

May 9, 2024 5:17 AM in response to ianfromfrederick

Oh my gosh—what is it with Apple replacing common words with names? Every time I type “is,” my phone changes it to “Isabella!” I don’t even know anyone with that name.

the phone also hasn’t leaned my daughter’s name, which I type often, so it corrects her name to a sorry of similar one. Argh!

l don’t want to turn off autocorrect altogether, but I’ll try the replace method.

When i type 'The' on my iphone it corrects to 'Theresa'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.