Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Excessive Google API Data Use while iPhone is Charging

Hello all - coming here to see if anyone has ever come across this issue. Few days ago was notified by my ISP that I had used close to all of my data for the billing cycle and this is quite unusual for my family, didn't think much of it and went about my day since billing cycle almost over. Within 24 hours I had blown through the data cap and so I got suspicious.

I went and searched the data traffic on my network and found that my iPhone (MAC Address matching my device) just absolutely crunching through data while it is charging overnight, screenshots attached. I have never seen anything like this. My cursory overview showed that Apple uses some of Google API as well as Amazon based services for iCloud (I'm not sure this is actually true so please correct me if I'm wrong), but this seems insane to me. What could possibly be sending this much data to Google / Amazon while I am asleep and the phone is charging? There was also significant data use from 'QUIC'.

Any insight is welcome. I am planning on leaving WiFi OFF tonight to see if I blow through cell data while I'm asleep which hopefully isn't the case. I have closed all of my apps as well as done a system reboot and that didn't seem to fix it.

Thanks everyone

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 4:25 AM

Sometime around April 7 my phone started pulling crazy amounts of data from Google APIs. Looks like it spiked multiple times while charging overnight last night. Something is wrong. I got a notice from my ISP I was at 75% yesterday and got a warning that I was at 90% just now. ~200 GB in 24 hours!

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 18, 2024 9:33 PM in response to Soilworkgmbh

Well after a test, this only occurs when connected to WiFi, turned it off last night and no data use at all really. Obviously this is an issue among many users and probably occurring a lot among the community just not known. This is a huge problem as not being connected to WiFi isn't great for back-ups etc, but I don't know what else to do.

Thanks everyone for sharing, not sure how to remedy this issue but wonder if it might need to be patched in an iOS update.

Obviously if anyone figures out what this is I would be very interested in hearing about it and any workarounds.

Apr 19, 2024 11:31 AM in response to Soilworkgmbh

I hadn't tried turning off wifi yet, but not shocked. I assume it's something trying to backup/update overnight. Just no way to see what it is or understand how/why it's burned through 400GB on my phone in the last couple of weeks. My phone is only 128GB what can it possibly be downloading... I've started deleting google apps (maps, chrome (reinstalled because I hate safari), google drive, etc). I did update ios last night and it didn't help, still burned through more data last night.

Over the last week my iPhone has downloaded 250.71GB of data from Google APIs(SSL) while on wifi (appears to be at night while charging).

Apr 17, 2024 10:05 AM in response to Soilworkgmbh

I'm having this exact same issue but with an updated IOs iPhone 12 at the same time overnight when I'm asleep (no other users in my house). Hotspot is off (whatever is doing this was going through my hotspot until I turned it off yesterday).

Let me know if the cell data was still going if your wifi was off. I'd turn my phone off at night, but I need to be accessible. Last update to iCloud was an hour before this activity according to my iPhone. This is also larger than the amount of data I even have on my iCloud, so it's definitely not related.

I'm about to get ridiculous charges from my ISP because I'm using 2TB of data a month because of this. This is not the same as previous bugs where the data is just showing as used on the phone but the ISP isn't confirming use. This is absolutely data moving confirmed via router and ISP.

If I could detail the source, I'll stop it. again, hotspot is OFF and password is changed. No unknown devices connected to iCloud and passwords have been changed.

Please let me know if you find a root cause. I'd hate to have to not have an iPhone to avoid an ISP overage every month.

Apr 30, 2024 10:52 PM in response to Soilworkgmbh

I’m having the same issue. I’ve been working with my ISP but they’re blaming Apple. I called Apple and they weren’t any help. It’s HUGE amounts of data, more than my phone even has for storage which is highly concerning. I deleted anll of my Google apps and a bunch of other apps that I dont use and I still see my phone trying to reach out to Google - which is now being blocked by my firewall.

Excessive Google API Data Use while iPhone is Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.