Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Red filter appears when extending shot on Final Cut Pro

On Final Cut Pro, I get this red filter on the part of footage file when I try to extend its length on timeline. This started happening after I cleared rendered files. I rebooted my MacBook Pro and system is all up to date. How can I get rid of this red filter which appears every time I extend any shot on timeline now?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 4:56 PM

13 replies

Apr 18, 2024 9:47 PM in response to Kyo Kyo

You're right Kyo Kyo, this is very strange.

You're positive you reset FCP preferences by launching FCP with the command and option keys pressed and selected Delete Preferences?

Maybe the project has been corrupted somehow. Copying it into a new project can sometimes help. Select everything in the project and copy with Command+C. Create a new project with the specs you want and paste into it. How does this new project behave?

Apr 19, 2024 6:53 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, I'm not sure where to find MediaInfo or Invisor on Final Cut Pro but here is the info about the affected clip. 3840 x 2160 | 50 p, Mono |48kHz, Rec. 2020 HLG, Codecs. AVC Coding, Linear PCM, Audio Output Channels 1, Audio Sample Rate 48kHz, Audio Configuration 2 Mono, 360 Projection Mode None, Stereoscopic Mode Monoscopic, Location External hard drive, Available Media Representations Original (AVC Coding) and Proxy (Apple ProRes 422 Proxy). If you could help me solve this red filter problem, I would most appreciate it. Many thanks! Mika

Apr 19, 2024 8:34 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, Setting the library properties to wide gamut solved the red-filtered look problem!!! Thank you so much! The project properties were set for 1080 p HD and not 3840 x 2160. When I started filming this documentary, I was using an old HD camera and then I shot at lot with iPhone 14 Pro Max but recently bit more with Sony's FX3, both at 4K. Should I reset the project properties at 4K, 3840 x 2160? I really appreciated that you have assisted me patiently. Thank you so much, Tom and thank the others who have also tried to help me! Mika

Red filter appears when extending shot on Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.